1. Spot the poor victim (ladies are already feeling sorry for the hen and are wondering, ama leo tukule githeri..)No !!..Today you want chicken so you need to brace yourself
3. Hyponitize the chicken. You are wondering what i mean by that. Make the animal feel at home and apprecate that whatever you are about to do is necessary or some one else will do it later. At this point stroke the chicken gently on the head and neck. This makes it relax and tame its tendency to run headless.
4. You will need an extremly sharp knife..Please my friends who insist on using a heavy piece of wood or a baseball bat to hit the chicken head, thats not fair or "human".
Kindly tie the chicken feet with a soft piece of rope.
Roll the animal in an upside down positon. Place it on a block of wood while holding the legs..This may suprise the chicken but we are already gone too far. There is no turning back..mmmmm i can even smell the roast chicken meat. NEXT
5. This may become a bit bloody kuku lazima tukule leo...Maintain the position for a few seconds. This upside position to a chicken translates to a state before sleep. You might see your victim trying to fight off sleep. This is the time to strike..Gently step on the chicken legs (a bit traditional but this is what i do) Hold the tip of the chicken head and in a flash, behead the chicken just a few inches from the head.
6. Maintain the position holding the headside in a upside postion to make sure that blood fully drains. This is the most important part since the chicken is not yet dead and if it escapes be ready to chase it around until every breath of life is gone..
7. On standby you should have water boiled at 100 degrees for stripping the chicken naked. (You said there is no such word like unfeathering). Dip the now dead chicken into the hot water and give it a minute or two.Start plucking off the feathers throwing them into an empty bin which you will dispose later.
8. Wait a minute where the hell did you throw the head. Some people consider it meaty while others feed it to the dogs. Beware if you feed it to the dogs you are cultivating a very bad culture . Like the proverbial Tekayo, the dog could turn on the living chicken. Throw the head together with the feathers into a disposable gabbage bin.
9. On the chicken breast bone (kind of like its chest), make a vertical cut staying close to the rib cage. At this point you could have tied the chicken to a a piece of wood or your small brother is holding it for you.
11. Slice off the legs at the hip bone and you can further shorthen them at the corresponding joints. Do the same on the wings and the neck. The remaining part is the breast bone which you can slice into smaller pieces.
12. From the interiors pieces, gently remove the liver and lungs plus the gizzard, if you so wish. Open the gizzard up and drain the sandy particles inside. Wash it up and peel its interior. All this are part of the diet.
13. Discard all the feathers, remaining interior pieces and the lower limbs.
The ready meat is just an hour away.
Its ready for cooking....
If you do it differrently, we welcome your suggestions on Thika Live or on our Facebook page.
One thing am sure of, in the next life i wouldn't want to be a chicken, would you??
pictures courtesy of Google